We have been busy here, like ridiculously busy. Calving season is in full swing (pics coming soon, I promise!), farm planting, I am recovering from the mother of all sinus infections, the kiddos recreational ball games, end of school year activities and functions, the list goes on forever.
Recently during a rare moment of quiet when I was able to sit down during a rain storm all I could think about was a cookie, a very specific cookie that I have not had in a while. Maybe I should of thought about catching up the laundry or mopping the floors. But what can I say? The heart wants what the heart wants, and mine wanted Soft Brown Sugar Cookies. Probably because I am on a diet right now, but let’s not discuss that.
Instead let’s talk about how Soft Brown Sugar Cookies practically melt in your mouth, or how a couple of these soft and tender cookies go perfectly with a cup of coffee and a little bit of quality Pinterest time.
If Soft Brown Sugar Cookies look familiar to my Eggnog Cookies, it is probably because the texture of this cookie is almost identical. Soft and cakey, but not to sweet these cookies are among my favorites. The Browned butter frosting is perfect for these cookies compliment to the cookies.
Be careful these cookies are addicting!
Soft Brown Sugar Cookies
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1-1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 2 T. Milk
For the cookies
- Blend together butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time; blend well. Add vanilla; beat until light.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream; mix well.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto non-stick or lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack; cool.
- Frost with Browned Butter Frosting.
For the Browned Butter Frosting
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat until it turns golden. Watch carefully as this will happen quickly. Remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar and enough milk to make a spreading consistency.
Recipe Adapted from Best-Ever Cookies Cookbook: Cookies ’round the calendar yummy, easy-to-make favorites for all occasions! (Everyday Cookbook Collection)