“Brother bought a coconut
He bought it for a dime.
His sister had another She paid it for the lime.”
~Coconut by Harry Nilsson
Is it even seriously possible to think about Coconut and Lime without thinking of the song Coconut? Lime and coconut is a perfect flavor combination for summer. Tangy and sweet, Coconut Lime Cupcakes are fun and tropical treat.
She put the lime in the coconut she drank them both up.
she put the lime in the coconut
Called the doctor, woke him up, and said “Doctor, ain’t there nothing I can take”
I said, “Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?”
For the longest time I thought mixing coconut and lime would actually give you a stomach ache! I assumed the lime curdled the coconut milk similar to the way lemon curdles regular milk. Turns out the combination is just so yummy it is hard to control yourself and eat, or in the case of the song drink just one!
These Coconut Lime cupcakes are so easy, they begin with a box of lemon cake mix, and just a few ingredients. I think these cupcakes have just the right balance of coconut. I am not a huge fan of artificial coconut flavors, to me whatever I bake using it ends up tasting like what I imagine suntan oil would. If you like a more coconut flavor though, increase the coconut extract and decrease the vanilla by the same amount, although I would not go over 1 teaspoon of coconut.
Coconut Lime Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 1 lemon cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2-4 drops green food color
- Zest of 1 medium lime
- 1 cup coconut
For the Lime Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup coconut, for sprinkling on top of cupcakes
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a mixer, combine all the cake ingredients except for the coconut. Mix on low for 30 seconds or until all the ingredients are just combined, continue to mix on high for 3 minutes. Add the coconut and mix until the coconut is well distributed throughout the cake batter.
- Scoop the cake batter into prepared cupcake pan, fill each cup 2/3 full . Bake for 16-22 minutes or until a pick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean and the tops are very lightly golden. Be careful not to over-bake these cupcakes because they will dry right up. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- To prepare the frosting. Cream butter in the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer. Whip until light and fluffy. Add remaining ingredients and mix until well-combined. Transfer to a piping bag and swirl the icing over the cooled cupcakes. Garnish with a sprinkling of coconut and a little lime zest. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers. Makes 24 cupcakes.
Recipe shared with: