But cabbage is actually a great source of Vitamin K, C , B6, and yummy! It is my firm belief if it was roasted more during the depression instead of boiled, it would be eaten more today. And yes, it is still a super frugal vegetable choice for your dinner side, I think the only thing cheaper in the produce department is bananas.
Roasted Cabbage Wedges
This recipe I am sharing is almost not even a recipe, it is so easy. It is basically the way I roast almost all my veggies. Occasionally I change up the seasonings and spices. The secret to roasted cabbage wedges is to roast them until they are cooked but still a little crunchy.
- 1 head of cabbage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of favorite herbs, such as basil, caraway or fennel seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
- Slice the cabbage into 8 equally sized wedges.
- Oil a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Place the cabbage on the baking sheet and drizzle with the remaining oil.
- Sprinkle with desired spices and place in the oven.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes or until tender in the middle and sides are just starting to turn golden brown.
It has been my experience there is no gray area with cabbage people either love it or hate it, how about you and what is your favorite way to serve it if you are a fan?