Chocolate Cherry Thumbprint Cookies- This rich and decadent cookie is perfect for the holidays!
I have to tell you, no matter how much I lament pitting a five gallon bucket of full of tart cherries by hand, I will never ever get sick of going down to my basement, cracking open my deep freezer and pulling out a bag of frozen sour cherries.
Homemade pie filling made with sour cherries is practically heaven and makes baked treats seem especially indulgent, even though it is crazy easy to make. Cherry pie filling has met its match in this Chocolate Cherry Thumbprint Cookie. The chocolate cookie is dark and decadent and perfectly complements the tart/sweet pie filling.
Chocolate Cherry Thumbprint Cookie are not shy, they over-the-top chocolatey, lavishly topped with juicy cherry pie filling and drizzled with more chocolate. These will be a standout cookie on any holiday cookie tray.
I know sour cherries are somewhat hard to come by, even when it is not the middle of winter, in a pinch a can of commercially prepared pie filling can be substituted for homemade pie filling. I have a feeling these cookies will still be knock-outs if you go the canned pie filling route.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups sour cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and mix well until combined. Sift in cocoa, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and flour. Stir until combined.
- Roll the dough into 2 inch balls. Place on a greased baking sheet or baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Press thumb into center of cookie to make a well. Place two cherries in each cookie.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 12 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet 2 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Once the cookies are cool drizzle with chocolate.
- Melt chocolate chips, I melted mine in the microwave, it took about 1 minute at 50 percent power. Drizzle over cookies.
- Let the chocolate set and serve immediately, or store in an airtight container.
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
KitchenAid KHM926CU 9-Speed Digital Hand Mixer with Turbo Beater II Accessories and Pro Whisk - Contour Silver
Applehood & Motherpie: Handpicked Recipes from Upstate New York
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Adapted from: Lucky Leaf