We grow quite a bit of sweet corn here on the farm, and it seems like it is just not summer without corn on the cob, but when you are up to your eyeballs in corn every summer, you need different ways to serve it.
Picking corn is not the most fun job on the farm, in my opinion. Corn needs to be picked by hand every day, and there is a lovely condition known as corn rash that you can get from rubbing against the corn tassels, so long sleeves and pants are required, no matter how hot it is out. Boiling a whole pot of water in the kitchen ranks pretty low on things I want to do once I am done picking. Luckily, corn is actually very versatile, and I have found a ton of ways to serve it. I could go on like Bubba did about shrimp in Forrest Gump about all the different ways we have prepared corn.
But I will spare you, for now.
One of my favorite ways to doctor up some corn is this Zesty Corn and Black Bean Salsa. This is great as a dish to pass at a picnic, just bring along a bag of Tostitos. Corn and Black Bean Salsa is really good with chicken and steak fajitas, just cook up your meat as you normally would and serve in tortilla shells with Corn and Black Bean Salsa, and your favorite garnishes.
The adaptations on this recipe are almost limitless. If you prefer not to cut jalapeno, buy canned Diced Jalapeno Peppers in the Mexican section of your grocery store. I have also included substitutions in the recipe notes, that make this an easy dish to mix up year round.
3 cups cooked, fresh sweet corn kernels (or 1 16-ounce bag frozen sweet corn kernels, thawed) 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed 1¾ cup red onion, diced 1½ cup green onion, chopped 1 very large red bell pepper, diced 2 Anaheim peppers, finely minced 2 cups tomato, dicedLime Cilantro Dressing:2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil ¾ cup fresh lime juice zest of 1 very large lime 1½ tablespoons garlic, finely minced 1 tablespoon ground cumin 1 teaspoon kosher salt 2/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 cups cooked, fresh sweet corn kernels (or 1 16-ounce bag frozen sweet corn kernels, thawed)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1¾ cup red onion, diced
- 1½ cup green onion, chopped
- 1 very large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 Anaheim peppers, finely minced
- 2 cups tomato, diced
Lime Cilantro Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup fresh lime juice
- zest of 1 very large lime
- 1½ tablespoons garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- Combine all salsa ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, garlic, cumin and salt in medium bowl. Stir in cilantro.
- Pour over vegetables and toss lightly to thoroughly coat all ingredients. Chill several hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers in covered container.