I was so thrilled this year to be able to actually get sour cherries in the freezer so I can make homemade Sour Cherry Pie Filling! Sour cherry pie is my absolute favorite pie, but the way my family annihilates pies, they don’t really seem worth the effort. I spend all that time rolling, chilling and baking, just to have it obliterated in a matter of minutes. I like to get a little bit better mileage out of my time spent in the kitchen. So Cherry Almond Kuchen is right up my alley, it can be whipped up just as quickly as a batch of cookies with less baking time and scooping.
Cherry Almond Kuchen is delicious, but is not without it’s quirks. I actually attempted this recipe 2 twice before I got it right. Turns out Cherry Almond Kuchen is the Goldilocks of baked goods, and the right pan size is pretty important to get it just right.
After trying a Cherry Almond Kuchen with a cookie sheet (fail), and a 9×13 glass pyrex dish (super fail) I decided it was time to buy a true jelly roll pan.
I ordered the Chicago Metallic Commercial II Traditional Uncoated True Jelly Roll Pan from Amazon and 5 days later the UPS guy brought it to me.
The difference between a jelly roll pan and a regular cookie sheet is a jelly roll pan measuers 14-3/4 by 9-3/4 by 1-Inch, and a half sheet cookie pan usually measures in the neighborhood of 13 x 18 inches.
I used my new jelly roll pan the same day it was delivered and achieved Kuchen success, finally!
Cherry Almond Kuchen
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 32
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Sour cherry pie filling or 1- 21 ounce can cherry pie filling
- 1 recipe Powdered Sugar Icing
Powdered Sugar Icing
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 3 – 4 teaspoons milk
For the Kuchen
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until well-combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Reserve 1-1/2 cups of the dough. Spread remaining dough in the bottom of an ungreased 14 3/4×9 3/4 x1-inch baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes. Spread pie filling over crust in pan. Spoon reserved dough into small mounds atop pie filling.
- Bake about 30 minutes more or until top is light brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Drizzle top with Powdered Sugar Icing. Cool completely. Cut into bars to serve.
For the Powdered Sugar Icing
- In a small bowl stir together powdered sugar, vanilla or almond extract, and enough milk (3 to 4 teaspoons) to make icing drizzling consistency.
Recipe barely adapted from: Cherry Kuchen Bars