Ok, I know I shared a recipe for zucchini bread last week, but my garden is suddenly bursting with summer squash, and honestly I fell a little in love with this cake today. I am a pushover for spice cakes and Cinnamon Zucchini Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting is essentially a deliciously moist spice cake, topped with a thick layer of a decadent cinnamon infused cream cheese frosting.
I am going to be straight with you, This zucchini cake is amazing! A must bake this summer while you garden is producing tons of fresh zucchini! Last year I entered Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread in the county fair and it took a blue ribbon. I am thinking about entering this cake and I suspect it would bring home another ribbon.Print
Cinnamon Zucchini Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted & slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 8 ounces cream cheese,softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk, if needed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour a 9×13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the melted butter, oil and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until well combined. Stir in the combined dry ingredients and mix well. Slowly beat in the buttermilk. Fold in the shredded zucchini.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, beat the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth. Add the vanilla and cinnamon and beat until well combined. Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until well combined and frosting is thick yet spreadable. Add a tablespoon or two of milk if the frosting needs to be thinner for spreading over the cake.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the cooled cake.
Recipe Inspired By: Gold Medal FlourEnjoy,