I love zucchini when it first becomes available, there is usually such and abundance I take full advantage of the veggie surplus by sneaking it into as many baked goods as I can. I think good old fashioned zucchini bread is great, but usually after my 5th loaf has been packed away into the freezer I am looking to switch it up a bit. Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread is a great zucchini bread recipe, that I have been using for a while now. It is one of those recipes I tried for something different, and it became more popular with my family than the original version of zucchini bread I was making. It is moist and loaded with chocolate flavor, packing two kinds of chocolate for maximum chocolate enjoyment: unsweetened cocoa powder and semi sweet chocolate chips, this bread is sure to satisfy your strongest chocolate craving. It is also officially an award winning recipe! I entered it in our county fair and it took first place!
This recipe for Double Chocolate zucchini bread makes only one loaf, but I usually double it, and make one for the freezer. It freezes beautifully, but I have learned from experience when freezing baked goods make sure they are completely cooled when you wrap and place them in your freezer. If your baked goods are not totally cooled any steam that releases while it is wrapped in the freezer will get trapped and form ice crystals, and you will have a freezer burnt confection. I usually place my zucchini loafs in the refrigerator for a while before I wrap them to ensure they are totally cooled.
This recipe is a ribbon winner! I entered Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread into the Zucchini Bread competition at our local County Fair, and it took First Place!
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup Baking Cocoa or Dutch-process cocoa I used Ghirardelli Chocolate Baking Cocoa
- 1 2/3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups shredded, unpeeled zucchini (gently pressed between layers of a clean tea towel to get rid of excess moisture)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F; spray an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray .
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, honey, oil, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Sift in the salt, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa, and flour, stir until well combined.
- Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake the bread for 65 to 75 minutes, until the loaf tests done (a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean, there maybe a tiny bit of chocolate on the toothpick from the melted chips, that is ok).
- Remove the bread from the oven, and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes before turning it out of the pan onto a rack. Cool completely before slicing; store in an airtight container.
This chocolate zucchini bread can be stored, well wrapped short term (up to 2 days) right on your counter top at room temperature. I like to bake a whole bunch of zucchini bread and wrap it tightly and store in the freezer for later enjoyment. To prepare you loaf for freezing wrap the totally cooled bread tightly in aluminum foil, I usually place the wrapped loaf in a freezer bag marked with contents and date made. The frozen zucchini bread will keep all winter in the freezer, but is best if enjoyed within 3-4 months.
Recipe adapted from: Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread : King Arthur Flour