Homemade Taco seasoning came about for me because of poor planning. Meal planning is not one of the areas where I shine, but I am trying to work on that! Many weeks my meal “plan” is formulated while grocery shopping. I am usually standing in the middle of an aisle and randomly pick meals that I think will match up to the stuff in my cart. My hastily thrown together meal plan is usually forgotten by the time I have all my groceries packed away at home. Because my grocery shopping is so umm ‘spontaneous’, it is not usually fun, so when I forget something I try to avoid going back at all costs. One week realizing I forgot my taco seasoning I decided to try my hand at mixing my own up, and it was great!
I was instantly hooked on making my own Taco seasoning, it is so easy to shake up into a jar, and it tastes like taco seasoning you would buy. It is almost indistinguishable from the brand name packages of taco mix, only your homemade version will not have any preservatives or unnecessary ingredients!
Now I always mix Homemade Taco Seasoning up in a large batch and keep it in a mason jar until I am ready to use it.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oragano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
TO MAKE THE TACO SEASONING MIX:
- In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and cornstarch. Store in an airtight container.
TO MAKE TACOS:
- Cook ground beef until brown and crumbly; drain off excess fat.
- For each pound of beef mix 2 1/2 -3 tablespoons of Homemade Taco Seasoning into 2/3 cup of cold water, add to cooked beef in skillet, simmer until thickened
Recipe adapted from: Taco Seasoning I