I love corn bread, but it has not always been that way. I have made my fair share of dry gritty hockey pucks, but not anymore! This honey cornbread is the perfect accompaniment to BBQ, breakfast or brunch or just a quick snack.
I have experimented with a lot of different corn meals, and I am pretty sure it makes a big difference in your cornbread. My favorite by far is Bob’s Red Mill Organic Cornmeal Medium Grind, if you are shopping locally, it is always in Nature’s Marketplace at Wegman’s. If you are using cornmeal you have in your pantry just make sure it is not self rising. I also don’t buy fresh buttermilk anymore, I keep a container of Saco Powdered Buttermilk in my fridge and mix up just the right amount of buttermilk as I need it. The Powdered Buttermilk has a long shelf life in your fridge, no more wasted buttermilk or messing around with trying to freeze it in ice cube trays. You can find the Powdered Buttermilk in Nature’s Market Place also 🙂
Brushing the top of this cornbread with honey about 20 minutes into baking is optional, but worth digging out the pastry brush for! It really browns up the top to a lovely golden color, and adds a little extra sweetness.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup melted butter slightly cooled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup corn kernels
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Spray a 8 x 8-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, honey, melted butter, and beaten eggs. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just until they are combined. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the corn kernels, Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle, comes out clean.
- If desired, brush the top of the cornbread with a little honey, about 20 minutes into the baking time.