I love it when winter squash starts showing up at farm markets and roadside stands, they are as decorative as they are tasty! There are so many varieties, and honestly I haven’t met one I didn’t like, although cracking into a Hubbard can be somewhat challenging! My favorite fall squash variety is without a doubt the Delicata Squash. The comparatively smaller squash yellow and green squash, have a mild flavor and edible skin. The smaller size and makes them quick and easy to cook, and they take very well to roasting. Roasting enhances the squash’s somewhat sweet potato flavor, and while they are great plain, when mixed with onions, spinach, and craisins this side dish is almost addictive.
Roasted Delicata Squash with Onions, Spinach, and Cranberries, is easy enough for a weeknight meal, but it is also an excellent Thanksgiving side. Is it too early to talk about Thanksgiving? The bright colors of this dish are really very pretty, and the combination of sweet and tart flavors will make this your new favorite holiday side dish!Print
Roasted Delicata Squash with Onions, Spinach, and Cranberries
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Vegetable
- Cuisine: American
- 2 Delicata squash, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 (about 1/2 lb) onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon port wine
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 ounces fresh spinach, stems removed and leaves torn in bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup sweetened dried cranberries, such as Craisins®
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450° F degrees . Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss squash cubes, onion, olive oil, honey, wine and vinegar together in a large bowl until coated; transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Arrange in single layer on the parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Roast in the preheated oven until squash is tender and starting to brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Immediately, toss hot squash mixture, spinach, dried cranberries, and pecans together in a serving bowl and serve warm.
- Serving Size: 46g