If you asked me to create a list of comfort foods, baked ziti would definitely be in the top 5. I always double this recipe and make a pan for the freezer, it freezes beautifully! Everyone in my family loves this, even my super picky 6-year-old. A salad and fresh Italian bread are all the you need to round out this meal.
Home style Baked Ziti
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 pound package Ziti pasta
- 1 pound pan or bulk sausage
- 1 container ricotta cheese, (15 oz.)
- 1 egg
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Pizza Seasoning or Italian Seasoning
- 1 1/2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded mozzerella cheese or Italian cheese blend
- Fresh Basil for Garnish
- Spray a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare pasta as directed on the package, drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat cook sausage and onion for 4 minutes, stirring to crumble the sausage. Add the garlic to the skillet and continue cooking until the sausage is thoroughly cooked. Drain sausage and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine ricotta, egg and Pizza Seasoning or Italian seasoning.
- Stir in the drained pasta, the drained sausage, and 1/2 jar of the spaghetti sauce into the ricotta/egg mixture, mix well.
- In the prepared baking dish, cover the bottom with 1/3 jar of spaghetti sauce. Layer 1/2 of the pasta mixture, 1/3 jar of spaghetti sauce, and 1/2 of the shredded cheese. Then layer the remaining 1/2 of the pasta, 1/3 of the sauce, and 1/2 of the cheese. Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until heated through, about 20 minutes. Uncover; and continue to bake until cheese is melted, 5 to 10 more minutes.
- Before serving sprinkle with fresh basil if desired.
Dawn ~ Spatulas On Parade
Sunday 7th of April 2013
Thanks so much for linking up to the party Swap N Share Sundays. Great recipe. Pinned Dawn Spatulas On Parade
Monday 8th of April 2013
Dawn, Thank you! Swap N Share Sundays is a great party I am looking forward to it next week!
Saturday 6th of April 2013
Wow, another great recipe. Very nice photography too.
Thank you so much for joining Pin It Monday Hop#2 Where you pin and get pinned (LINK). Please come back on Sunday at 5pm (CST) for our Pin It Monday Hop#3. Watch out for my 10 features soon. Pinned this to our Pin Board for re-pinning. Judy https://www.pursuitoffunctionalhome.com/ https://www.kusinaniinday.blogspot.com/
Wednesday 3rd of April 2013
Thanks for this recipe ~ Baked Ziti is in my top 5 fav dishes! PINNED (I found you on the Pin It Monday Hop!)
Monday 1st of April 2013
Looks so delicious! This looks like a great comfort food for these cold days. I've tried baked ziti once years ago. I think this might be a reminder to have a pasta dish soon. Visiting from the hop. Stop by if you get a chance.
Tuesday 2nd of April 2013
Thank you Sharon! It is snowing here today, so we are still in comfort food weather here in Upstate New York.
Homestyle Baked Ziti | Simply Family Savings
Wednesday 6th of March 2013
[...] recipe has moved! You can follow this direct link to it’s new [...]
Sunday 7th of April 2013
Hi I am Hadia from Hadia's Lebanese Cuisine...love the recipe ..tempting and mouth watering...I have seen your photo on "Swapn' Share Sunday.