It has been a while since I posted a recipe, honestly I have been not spending much time in my kitchen lately. Even though I desperately want to finish up my kitchen project before the kids get out of school. Cooking, baking, painting… really none of it is going on in my kitchen. But I miss baking, and my kids miss having sweet little snacks and treats. I decided it was time to treat them to Lemon Blueberry Bread this weekend for a Sunday Breakfast treat.
Lemon Blueberry Bread is a quick bread, very similar in texture and crumb to pound cake. I made this as a breakfast treat, but Lemon Blueberry Bread is very versatile. Add a dollop of whipped cream for a easy dessert, grab a slice on the run and enjoy a quick and refreshing mid-day snack. The lemon blueberry flavors are great anytime.
Fresh or frozen blueberries work well in the recipe, so you can enjoy it year round. My kids love blueberries, in the summer I buy large quantities from the farmer’s market to freeze and vacuum seal them. We drained my freezer inventory about a month ago, so I have been buying Dole Frozen blueberries until blueberries are available here locally. If you do use frozen berries reserve about 1-2 tablespoons of the flour in a small bowl. Use the reserved flour to dust the frozen blueberries, do not thaw them; this little step will help keep the frozen berries from bleeding, and turning your finished bread into a bad tye dye job.
Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 minute
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, lemon juice and eggs.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into egg mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in the blueberries,and lemon zest.
- Pour bread batter in to a 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing bread from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, In a small bowl, combine the ingredients and stir until well mixed. drizzle over lemon blueberry bread.
If you do use frozen berries reserve about 1-2 tablespoons of the flour in a small bowl. Use the reserved flour to dust the frozen blueberries, do not thaw them; this little step will help keep the frozen berries from bleeding, and turning your finished bread into a bad tye dye job.
The baking time may need to be extended slightly when using frozen blueberries, begin checking after an hour of baking, I had to cook an additional 15 minutes when I used frozen berries.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
Recipe adapted from :Lemon Blueberry Bread Recipe
This post was shared with: