You probably are familiar with Spring Cleaning, but you should also show your home a little love in the fall too! Here’s where you should start, and my tips for Fall Cleaning!
For me, Fall is all about being cozy and spending more time at home. But during the 3 months of summer farm chores, and the kid’s sports tournaments, my house usually gets a little neglected. So before I light my fall candles and break out my cozy sweaters and cardigans I spend a couple of days deep cleaning my house, and I am always glad I did, especially if I’m hosting guests during the holidays! Want to get your house super ready for Autumn with me? I’ve put together a little this cleaning checklist for you!
Why Deep Clean in the Fall?
After a long hot summer to brisk and breezy days of Autumn is the perfect time to tackle those projects that make our home feel clean and comfortable all winter. And, if your house is anything like mine you’ve had kids and dogs tracking in dirt, mud and whatever else all summer!
What to Clean in the Fall?
Fall cleaning looks a lot like spring cleaning in my house, with the exception, I DEEP clean my carpets. After all the traffic in and out of the house all summer, I really like to freshen up the carpets in my living room. I usually rent a steam cleaner from a local rental place but have also had them professionally cleaned in the past. This is what my fall cleaning checklist looks like:
Throughout the House:
- Wash your walls.
- Wash your windows, window sills, and all the window groves.
- Clean your washer and dryer.
- Clean your doorknobs, doors, and light switch plates.
- Vacuum under all beds, couches, and other furniture.
- Dust the tops of doors and door frames.
- Rent a cleaner and shampoo, or have carpets and rugs professionally cleaned.
- Clean floors underneath area rugs.
- Wash curtains or send them to dry cleaners to be cleaned.
- Remove and rinse your window screens.
- Wash your washable vacuum cleaner filters.
- Clean your baseboards.
- Clean your kitchen grout.
- Clean your bathroom grout.
- Clean your refrigerator coils, if applicable.
- Clean under your refrigerator.
- Clean the inside of your dishwasher.
- Clean kitchen cabinets.
- Clean your oven.
- Wash and disinfect all the garbage cans.
- Seal and/or polish granite countertops.
- Toss expired foods from the pantry
- Check spices, especially baking needs, for freshness
- Wash shower curtain & liner
- Scrub shower
- If you have a whirlpool tub, clean the jets
- Deep clean shower head
- Check tile grout, touch up if needed
- Replace toothbrushes
- Clean hairbrushes/combs/etc
- Re-stock toiletries
- Wash all bedding, comforters, mattress pads, and pillows.
- Vacuum and flip your mattress over to provide even wear.
- Put cold-weather linens on the beds.
- Go through closets, drawers, and storage boxes. Purge anything that no longer fits, is your style or is in bad shape.
- Switch out seasonal clothes
- Declutter Your Bedside Tables
- Vacuum upholstered furniture and spot clean
- Vacuum under your upholstered furniture cushions.
- Polish your wood furniture.
- Wipe down your screens (TV, computer, etc.).
- Clean remote controls.
- Declutter magazines and reading materials.
Seasonal Maintenance Around the House:
- Change your furnace air filter.
- Replace your fire & carbon monoxide alarm batteries.
- Dust your ceiling fans.
- Sweep the chimney and/or have it checked.
- Clean out rain gutters.
- Check weather stripping and replace as necessary.
Do you do a Fall Deep Clean? Is yours similar to mine?