My kids can blow through a box of granola bars in no time, even with couponing it is impossible to ever have enough. They are great in lunch boxes, paired with an apple for an after school snack to hold them over until dinner. I have actually tried several granola bar recipes, but they all fell apart when I tried to cut them. A Facebook friend recommended THIS RECIPE and they turned out great. I was actually surprised at how well they turned out after all my earlier failed attempts. But on one occasion I was craving something
a little less healthy chocolate and thought about the fiber granola bars I love, and how the bottom is dipped in chocolate, I knew a little extra chocolate would make these granola bars a treat that would better satisfy my sweet tooth at that moment . The coconut addition really brought a ton of additional flavor and moistness to my second batch of granola bars. I still plan on making the original version of the No-Bake Granola Bars of school snacks, and car trips, But this sweetened up version of these bars is perfect for other times.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. shortening, divided
- With about half of the shortening crease a 9 inch square baking dish, and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix the oats, crispy rice cereal, and coconut.
- In a small sauce pan, add the butter, brown sugar and honey and cook over medium-high heat until mixture starts to bubble. Reduce heat and cook two more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour brown sugar mixture into dry ingredients and mix well. Firmly press the mixture into prepared baking dish Sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons mini chocolate chips. Let cool.
- Once the granola is cool, turn out onto a cookie sheet.
- In a microwave safe dish, melt 1 cup of chocolate chips and 1 tsp. shortening. Spread over granola. After the chocolate has hardened, cut into bars.
Recipe adapted from No-Bake Chocolate Chip Granola Bars over at Lauren’s Latest