We have been hit hard by a nasty virus. My oldest daughter came down with it first, it was relentless for a solid week, after about 5 days she developed ear infections. Around the time of her ear infections, the rest of us started dropping like flies. It is a miserable cold that once takes hold doesn’t want to let up.
I decided we needed chicken soup, and probably Lysol, but mostly chicken soup.
This Thai Chicken Vegetable Soup relies heavily on Thai Ginger Flavor Infused Broth, it is already infused with traditional Thai flavors, so this soup stirs up fast and is perfect for busy weeknights. There is a little “heat” to this soup, although not so much my kids would not eat it, but that extra little kick rounds out the flavors of the soup and helped clear up our head colds!
Thai Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 2" thin matchstick slices
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into 2" thin slices
- 1 8 ounce package of sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup snow peas, cut in half
- 1 carton (32 ounces) Swanson Thai Ginger Flavor Infused Broth
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 can (15 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 dash of fish sauce, optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves (about 10 sprigs, leaves picked from stems and chopped)
- Lime slices and additional cilantro for garnish
- In a large stockpot, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the carrots and peppers and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly tender.
- Add the mushrooms and snow peas and sauté, stirring constantly, for a 2-4 minutes more.
- Add the broth and increase heat to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low, add chopped cooked chicken and simmer about 5 minutes, until the chicken is heated through.
- Stir in coconut milk and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Add lime juice, fish sauce (if using), and cilantro.
- Garnish with lime slices and additional cilantro.
There may be affiliate links in this post. By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation, at no cost to you. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use in my own home! Thank you for supporting Home in the Finger Lakes when you shop! See my disclosure policy for more info.