Today I was mixing up a cake for my mother’s birthday that called for cake flour, I didn’t happen to have cake flour on hand so I made up a quick batch using this Cake Flour Substitute Recipe. This Cake Flour Substitute Recipe has been so handy for me I really wanted to share it here, in fact I have wanted to for a while now, but it finally took being snowed in by Hercules for me to get around to it.
There are some really good cake flours available; King Arthur Gueen Guinevere cake flour & King Arthur Unbleached Cake Flour are great, but I rarely have it on hand. I have learned the hard way straight substituting regular all-purpose flour for cake flour will significantly alter the texture and tenderness of your finished cake. But my hours spent watching my foodie crush Alton Brown on TV have not been fruitless. I have learned you can very closely approximate cake flour using all-purpose flour and cornstarch.
Facts about Flour from Alton Brown:
I started using this Cake Flour Substitute Recipe in a pinch, but I find I rarely buy cake flour anymore, because this Cake Flour Substitute produces beautifully tender cakes. I am sharing a recipe that will make 3 cups of cake flour substitute, which is exactly what I needed for Mom’s birthday cake, but it is easily adjusted for any amount you need.
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- Measure out 3 cups of all-purpose flour.
- From the measured all-purpose flour, remove 6 tablespoons this can go back into the flour bag, we will not be using it
- Put the flour (minus the 6 tablespoons) into a sifter set over a bowl.
- Replace the six tablespoons of flour that you removed with six tablespoons of cornstarch in the sifter.
- Sift the flour and cornstarch together. I like to sift onto a large sheet of wax paper, This makes it easier to transfer the flour-cornstarch mixture back into the sifter.
- Repeat the sifting process, ideally, the mixture should be sifted 5 times, this will guarantee your cake flour is well incorporated and aerated.
Other Homemade Mixes you might like: