It’s less than 10 days away now, guys! How are you doing on holiday prep?
I am not going to lie, I am behind and need to get cracking, and by cracking I mean shopping.
But I have been doing pretty good on getting cookies made for my cookie trays I will be gifting to friends and family. I like to make a batch or two when I have time and hid them in the freezer until I am ready to frost them.
If you have never frozen cookies, you will love it! You can accumulate and a nice assortment of cookies, and they actually hold up very well in the freezer, in fact, my biggest problem is keeping my family out of them! Some of my favorite cookies to freeze are:
- Bar cookies
- Sugar cookies, plain or decorated with icing.
- Drop cookies, like oatmeal, chocolate chip or peanut butter cookies
Peppermint Butter Cookies are very similar to sugar cookies and are a great cookie for your cookie trays, and I love these cookies! They are soft and have a bakery style texture, and a very Christmas-y pepperminty flavor, and I think the crushed candy canes add a pretty touch!
In the spirit of full disclosure, this recipe does take a little patience to make, but I promise these cookies are worth it! Peppermint Butter Cookie dough is very soft, it needs some chill time in the fridge so the butter can harden up, and you can more easily handle the dough. Last year I wrote Secrets and tips for perfect cut-out cookies, definitely check it out, a lot of the tips come in handy when making these cookies.
Peppermint Butter Cookies
- Prep Time: 24 hours
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 24 hours 5 minutes
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
FOR THE FROSTING::
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- pinch salt
- 6 tbsp heavy cream
- Crushed candy canes, for decoration
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, scraping between each addition. Add peppermint extract and Greek yogurt, and mix well. Gradually add flour mixture, beating just until combined.
- Divide the mixture in half, and flatten into a disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- Lightly flour a work surface. Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. The dough will be a little sticky, so use flour as needed to avoid sticking. Use a 2 to 2-1/2 inch round cookie cutter to cut out circles and transfer to the prepared baking sheets. Bake cookies until just set and still pale, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack or a piece of waxed paper to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting: In a large bowl, beat butter until soft and fluffy. Add peppermint extract. Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and beat until combined completely. Add salt and cream and beat until light and fluffy.
- Frost each cookie and then sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
Recipe adapted from: Land O Lakes